I can't launch DTXMania.
Please check howtosetup.
"Songs not found." I can't start playing.
Initial DTXMania does not have any song data.
In this case, when you choose "START" at the title screen, "SELECT MUSIC" screen will be shown with "Songs not found" message.
You have to get dtx data files (and other related files), and put them into the folder under DTXManiaGR.exe.
(ex. C:\Users\yyagi\Desktop\DTXMania\songdata\ etc. Note that DTXMania folder contains DTXManiaGR.exe.)
It doesn't sync between BGM and drums sounds.
First of all, you should set CONFIGURATION - System - Sound Option - AdjustWaves=ON (Wave playing position automatic correction feature) in CONFIGURATION. It suppresses the lag which comes from the difference of H/W or OS. (however it may occur petit noise.)
Note: AdjustWaves only effective when you choose CONFIGURATION - System - Sound Option - SoundType = DSound. It does not effect to WASAPI/ASIO.
Then, you can use "BGMAdjust" feature to adjust BGM timing.
See the upper figure. There are the "chip" in the left side, and "BGM (before adjusting)" at the center (before adjusting).
Originally, the chip should be placed on where "dot-line enclosed translucent yellow boxes" are,
but the chips' positions are 10ms-delayed.
In this case, push "Shift" + "up arrow" in the playing screen to shift the BGM position (timing) later, and the chips and BGM are synced.
Push "Shift"+"up arrow" to delay the BGM about 10ms, and "Shift"+"down arrow" to haste the BGM about 10ms.
For more accuracy, push "Shift"+"Ctrl"+"up arrow" to delay the BGM about 1ms,
and "Shift"+"Ctrl"+"down arrow" to haste the BGM about 1ms.
You can check the current shift amounts by pushing "Delete" in the playing screen.
And these settings will be saved to .score.ini file, and resumed automatically in each play.
(Ref: 音ズレ十八年戦争 より 報告B - 「同じ間隔でずれっぱなし」 (in Japanese)
If AdjustWaves=ON have no effect, please check these items below;
1. At the autoplay, chip effect starts in advance and the sound comes later? or, by contraries, sound starts in advance and the chip effect comes later?
In case chip sound comes later, go to 2.
In case chip effect comes later, the cause should be the poorness of display adapter.
The poor performance of display adapter, sound card and CPU etc may cause the lag.
(however I know it's very rare case after Windows7 era.)
2. Try to play DTXMania by PC keyboard. (You don't have to play all lanes with keyboard. e.g. snare-only is enough.) At that time, does the lag occurs?
Basically, the keyboard is the device which has the tiny latency for the DTXMania. So, if you feel lags with playing keyboard, the lags don't come from the keyboard. Check below;
- Performance settings for Audio playback.
You may improve the audio playback performance by changing the audio property. Here is the steps for Windows10. Open Start - Settings (Gear icon) - System - Sound - (Check the output device of "Choose your output device" is correct, then click ) Device properties - (Related Settings -) Additional device properties. Then...
- If Property window has "Enhancements" tab, click it. Put a check mark to "Disable all enhancements".
- Go Advanced tab. Set the Default Format to "16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)". Do not choose "16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)".
- Go "Spatial sound" tab. Set "Spatial sound format" to Off.
There is a few possibility that "Originally, DTX author makes DTX with laggy environment".
For example, DTX author uses DTXMania with AdjustWaves=OFF, and you are using with ON. In that case, it may take effect to set AdjustWaves=OFF.
3. Hitting DTX pad causes flashing the lane background. Does the flashing delay too (same as the sound delays)? or, flashing comes at once, and the sound delays?
If the flashing delays too (same as the sound delays), the cable (connecting between PC and DTX/Joypad etc) or the cable driver (USB-MIDI driver etc) causes the delay.
Although I don't have the critical solution about it, but there some "feeling better" solution like that;
- Set CONFIGURATION - System - BufferedInput = OFF, and
- Set CONFIGURATION - System - Display Option - VSyncWait = OFF.
Probably because "WASAPI/ASIO's sound mixing load is high".
So, first of all, please change CONFIGURATION - System - Sound Option - SoundType to DSound, to isolate the problem.
If your laggy/rollback problem solved, it's the root cause.
However, on the other hand, DSound has big sound output lag. (hit pad -> lag -> you can hear the sound).
So I strongly recommend to use WASAPI or ASIO.
Here are tips to reduce sound mixing load, with using WASAPI or ASIO.
- Check CONFIGURATION - System - Sound Option - PolyphonicSounds. If it is 4, try to set it to 2 (or 1). This setting means the number of polyphonic sounds (of the same chip). Smaller the value, smaller the mixing load. (The value is already 2 in the DTXMania Release 113 and above.)
- If you use the sound device which is "USB-connected" or "HDMI-connected" one, you should not use them. My recommendation is to use on-mother sound device (ex: High Definition Audio, etc).
Reason: USB-connected (or HDMI-connected) sound device tend to have poor responses / high loads, than PCIexpress-connected ones. If you really need to use these devices, you should set the larger buffer size ... for example, 40msec or larger. (But remember, larger buffer size causes poor response (hit pad -> larger lag -> you can hear the sound). )
Or, set Check CONFIGURATION - System - Sound Option - SoundType to WASAPI(Exclusive. not Shared), and set Check CONFIGURATION - System - Sound Option - WASAPI EventDriven to ON. It may improve the responses. (In my experiences, I used HDMI-connected TV as the sound output device, and it causes 44msec sound buffer size for WASAPI(Shared). I changed WASAPI(Shared) to WASAPI(Exclusive), and set WASAPI EventDriven to ON. As the result, sound buffer size become 7msec.)
(In, DTXMania Release 114 (or above), it warns about the sound lag if you uses USB-connected sound device.)
- In case you uses Bluetooth (or other) wireless sound speaker or headphone etc, you should use wired speaker/headphones. (Reason: wireless audio device tent to have a larger lag than wired ones).
- Tune-up the value of CONFIGURATION - System - Sound Option - WASAPIBufSize by yourself. Too large/Too small sound buffer size causes noisy sound, laggy scroll etc. Moreover, if you set WASAPIBufSize = 0 (means auto configuration), DTXMania automatically chooses larger sound buffer size than manual settings. Here is my standard ...please set 10-20 (for WASAPI(Exclusive) or 2-4 (for WASAPI(Shared) to WASAPIBufSize. As the result, it's good if the real buffer size become 10-20. (You can check current real buffer size at window title of DTXMania, after exiting CONFIGURATION).
Exception: if you use poor CPU (ex. Tablet PC), you should set larger sound buffer size (40 etc).
- Reboot DTXMania. After rebooting, wait until "Enumerating Songs..." terminates. (In my personal feeling, it causes better scroll... Yes, of course it should be improved by software update, if my feeling is true. I know, I know, ...)
- Reboot PC. Especially for Windows10, the system response become dull if you use the PC with sleep (without reboot) in a few days. At least my Windows 10 PC is so.
- "CONFIGURATION - System - Sound Option - UseOSTimer = ON" gives you smooth scroll even if you uses WASAPI/ASIO. On the other hand it may causes the sound lag between the BGM and sound chips.
- 59Hz issue. Even if you uses 69Hz display, "OS settings" or "display driver settings", or both of them may set as "59Hz". If you encounter this issue, it may causes the scroll lags. Here is the fix steps for Windows10.
- Right-click at Desktop (no-icon area), choose "Display settings". It will invoke "Settings" window of "Display" category.
- Scroll down the right side of "Display" setting window. You'll find "Advanced display settings" below "Multiple displays". Click it.
- At "Advanced display settings" window, check the "Refresh rate (Hz)" of "Display information". If it is "60Hz", go to step 5. If it is "59Hz", you need to click "Display adapter properties for Display 1" to fix it. Go to step 4.
- Display Property window will appear. Click "Monitor" tab. Check "Screen refresh rate:" of "Monitor Settings". It will be "59 Hertz". Change it to "60 Hertz", then click OK.
- If you uses Intel Display adapter (to be more accurate, Intel chipset internal display adapter), Click "Intel (R) HD Graphics Control Panel" tab. (It will be there in Display Property window, which will be invoked from "Display adapter properties for Display 1" link at Step 4.
- Check the "Refresh rate". If it is "59p Hz", change it to "60p Hz".
- Click "Graphics Properties..."
- "Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel" windows will be launched. Click "Display" icon.
- Click "General Settings" tab in the left pane. Check "Refresh Rate" in the center pane. If it is "59p Hz", change it to "60p Hz" and click "Apply".
If you're using NVIDIA/AMD display adapter, please investigate by yourself to fix 59Hz issue. (Sorry, I don't have NVIDIA/AMD display adapter, so I can't verify the info.)
BTW if you're using Window7, Microsoft says 59Hz-issue is by-design.
- If you're using Windows10, you can use "Game Mode" to improve the performance of DTXMania a little. To be specific, a little, sudden scroll lag will be decreased. Here is the steps to set Game Mode for DTXMania.
- Click "Start" - "Settings (Gear icon)". Settings window will appear.
- Click "Gaming". Then click "Game Mode" in the left pane.
- In the right pane, Set "Game Mode" = On,
- Launch DTXMania.
- Click DTXMania window to activate it. Then push "Windows+G" key to show Game Bar.
- At the Game Bar, click "Gear" icon (Game bar settings) at the top-right of the window.
- Check it to ON "Remember this is a game".
- Close settings windows. Congratulations! you've finished settings to activate Game Mode when playing DTXMania.
If your PC have multiple GPU, DTXMania's performance may improve if you'll do these additional settings:
- Do step 1 and 2, to show "Game Mode" settings. Then click "Graphics settings" at "Related settings".
- Check "Choose an app to set preference" item is "Classic app" at "Graphic performance preference". Then click "Browse".
- FileOpen dialog will appear. Choose DTXManiaGR.exe and click "Add".
- DTXManiaGR's filename, and "System default", and the full path will be shown. Click "Options".
- "Graphics specifications" dialog will be shown. choose "High performance" at "Set graphics preference", then click "Save".
(Note: before clicking "Save", chekc "Power saving GPU" and "High performance GPU". If both are the same GPU, this settings will not take effect.)
- In case nothing can be done about it, you may play DTXMania with DSound. However, the response of DSound is very bad. (In Windows 10, responses of DSound is a little improved. but still WASAPI/ASIO is better responses)
Simultaneous 3-keys input does not work well.
Usually, "pushing 3-keys at the same time" raises "4th ghost key input". As the result, unknown miss-input occurs.
"Which 3-keys combinations doesn't work well?" depends on the keyboard model."
If your keyboard supports "complete N-key rollover", any 3-keys combinations work well. But it's rare, and expensive. Normal keyboard is "2-key" or "3-key" rollover ... only 2 or 3 simultaneous key input is supported.
It means you can't avoid 3-keys problem. The problem cannot be solved by software. So, if your keyboard cannot use "Z-X-C simultaneous input", you should stick to this combination. You should seek other combinations which can be used by your keyboard, and you should use it ... you should use them as the DTXMania key assign.
BTW, my recommendation to avoid the problem is, to use E-Drums :-)
My input lag is big (I hit keyboard/joypad button, but there is a big delay for registering to DTXMania)
- If your display refresh rate is not 60Hz (ex. 120Hz, 144Hz etc), you may feel smaller lag with this settings: CONFIGURATION - System - Input Option - BufferedInput = OFF. It seems that the resolution of DirectInput is 15.6ms (because the !DirectInput is handled as Window Message WM_INPUT ). I hope to fix the problem in the future DTXMania.
E-Drum is connected, but no responses
First of all, you need to check whether E-Drum is correctly connected to PC or not.
Please execute MidiInChecker2 in DTXMania's zip file. Then hit some E-Drum pads. If some texts are shown related to the pad, it's OK.
If no texts are updated, it means PC and E-Drum is not connecter correcly.
Please see "I connected my E-Drum to my PC, but it doesn't work well." to fix it.
In case PC and E-Drum is connected correctly, then you should check DTXMania's pad assigns. Go to CONFIGURATION - Drums - Input Option to check pad assigns.
Moreover, very-cheap-USB-MIDI-adapters (cheaper than $10. Device name is USB2.0-MIDI) has a problem for DTXMania.
Usually it works fine for MIDI-OUT (PC -> MIDI instruments), but MIDI-IN (MIDI-instruments -> PC) does not work well.
(DTXMania Release 114 or above warns about it if you use such kind of USB-MIDI cables.)
BTW, someone fix that kind of cable. For your information.
Weak tap is not recognized by DTXMania.
If only hi-hat is not input to DTXMania, DTXMania may reject it.
Please try to reduce the value of CONFIGURATION - Drums - E-Drums Option - HHVelocityMin.
This means the threshold of hihat velocity. Initial value is 20 (for hihat) or 0 (others).
If you uses DTXPRESS, and you want to set DTXPRESS to register weak tap,
then tune the value of DTXPRESS input "Gain" and "INPUT ATTENUATION".
Gain can be configured in DTXPRESS panel. INPUT ATTENUATION can be configured in the dip switch at the back of DTXPRESS. For detail, please check DTXPRESS USERS MANUAL.
Other E-Drums will have the similar features ... but cheap E- Drums (cheaper than $500) may not omit these features.
I hit HiHat and Snare simultaneously, but one of them does not work well. Hi-speed HiHat hitting is not recognized often.
If you uses DTXPRESS and "hitting two pads at the same time, but one of them is not recognized", or "hi-speed hitting is not recognized", then "Self Rejection", "Rejection", or "Specified? Rejection" in DTXPRESS should be checked. (Set them to 0 or 1)
- Double trigger occurs (1-hit becomes 2-hits) -> Increase Self Rejection
- Cross talk occurs (Some pad's vibrations is recognized to other pad's hit) -> Increase Rejection
- Specific pad's vibration is recognized often -> Increase Specified? Rejection
I believe E-Drums (over $500) have these kind of features. For detail, please check E-Drums' Users Manual.
And also "Increasing HiHat Gain" may solve the hi-speed HiHat hitting, Please try it.
In some case, a little delay may causes poor/miss like that:
(Hitting) □□□□ □□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
↑become poor/miss from here
"HiHat(Open)" sound become "HiHat(Close).
Please check CONFIGURATION - Drums - Input Option - "HH Grouping". If it is HH-0/1/2, then set it to HH-3.
And also set "CY Grouping" to CY-1.
No movie playback.
You should install the codec. Please see "DirectShow support".