[macemacsjp-english 673] Re: Fwd: [Macemacsjp-users 1167] Re: Transparency patch (again)

アーカイブの一覧に戻る

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dybal****@Web*****
Thu Sep 28 21:08:54 JST 2006

Am 23.09.2006 um 14:36 schrieb Seiji Zenitani:

>>> An updated patch.
>>
>> I have still no success with Xorg 6.8.2 and Xfree86 4.5.0. Probably
>> X11R7 is needed ...
>>
> That screenshot was taken on X.org 6.8.2.
>
> I'm not sure but you have to activate "composite" extension?

I 'git' X11R7.1, Mesa-6.5.1, Direct Rendering Infrastructure and
Direct Rendering Manager (dri/drm), ran into some bugs in the source,
had to find that the X11 app binaries overwrite their X resources
files because HFS+ is case preserving but not case sensitive (File
and FilE are the same item, only one of them can exist in the same
directory) – finally ran into an obvious bug in GCC 4.0.1! Years
later Apple might have solved it ...

There is (are a few?) issues about endianness. Do you know how to
make gcc-3.3 and gcc-4.0 show their built-in DEFINEs, i.e.
__MAC_OS_X__ or __APPLE__ etc.? I knew these things with GCC 2! I
think I'll have to apply some patches for this and actually do not
know with which #ifdef to start ... (some source files include sys/
endian.h which has to be machine/endian.h on Mac OS X)

   * The Composite extension allows a client to request that all
     drawing to window is redirected to off-screen buffer. Through
     the Damage extension the client, called a 'compositing
     manager', can know which areas of a window is modified and
     render the windows on screen. By making use of the drawing
     requests from both the core protocol and the RENDER extension,
     the compositing manager can create special effects, such as
     translucent windows.

Since RENDER is build into XQuartz, Apple's X server, we should be
able to see transparency. The problem seems to be that we can't
launch XQuartz in 32 bit mode: 24 bit for colours and another 8 bits
for transparency ... although a depth of 32 bits is supported!

--
Greetings

   Pete

With Capitalism man exploits man. With communism it's the exact
opposite.