Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 05:53:39 +0000
From: Tor Lillqvist <tml****@iki*****>
To: Matthias Clasen <mclas****@redha*****>
Cc: otayl****@redha*****, ashie****@homa*****
Subject: Re: IME input method integration

With minimal changes (already committed to CVS), it builds and
installs fine. (Well, as "fine" as the input modules can be said to
install on mingw; one always have to do some manual editing of the
generated gtk.immodules file.)

There are some minor issues with the code:

imime.c sets itself as default for all languages ("*" in the
GtkIMContextInfo struct). It probably should be default for
"ja:ko:zh"?

gtkimcontextime.c uses #ifdef UNICODE to switch between the wide-char
and multibyte ("ANSI") API at compile-time. No GTK+ code is built with
UNICODE defined. Instead it could use G_WIN32_HAVE_WIDECHAR_API() (in
HEAD GLib) to decide at run-time which one to use. (We also should add
more stuff like that in gdk/win32, to for instance set window titles
using the wide-char API if available.)

But then, the G_WIN32_HAVE_WIDECHAR_API() just tells the truth for the
"base" Win32 API, which is available in wide-char versions just on the
NT-based Windowses. Some (all?) of the Imm* API is available in
wide-char versions also Win98/Me, but not Win95. Should we just ignore
Win95 (and then just use the wide-char Imm* API all the time), or
check the g_win32_get_windows_version() return value do differentiate
between 95 and 98/Me? If the latter, the DLLs on 95 probably don't
even have a dummy entry point present, so if we want to support 95, we
need to do run-time lookup of the function names.

--tml

--
Takuro Ashie <ashie****@good-*****>