|tsukurimashou-0.5.zip||2.45 MB||2011-12-17 09:26||96|
The big news for version 0.5 is the introduction of the Jieubsida series of fonts, covering Korean hangul. I decided to build these even though I don't actually know the language, because the writing system seemed simple and I thought it would be easy to add, providing a lot of bang for the buck in terms of increasing the potential user base for Tsukuimashou. I was wrong about it being easy to implement hangul; but doing the work had several important side benefits. In particular, because of creating some drastically larger fonts than this project has generated before, the Korean fonts gave me the opportunity to find out about some problems in third-party software that would if unfixed eventually cause big trouble for the Japanese fonts too.
The Jieubsida fonts should be of usable quality (comparable to the Latin range) already. All the 11172 Unicode precomposed syllables are included, as well as all the Unicode "hangul compatibility jamo" and "hangul jamo" code points - but only the main sequence, not the "extended A and B" ranges. (The extensions may arrive in a later version.) There are extensive OpenType features that should, if used correctly, allow all the Unicode-defined combining behaviour as well as all of Microsoft's.
One of the side effects of implementing the OpenType features for the Korean fonts was that I discovered a pretty serious bug in XeTeX's implementation of glyph substitution; and, unfortunately, earlier versions of the Tsukurimashou vertical fractions feature were actually written to depend on the bug. In this version those tables have been rewritten in such a way that they should work both in XeTeX and in any correct implementations of the standard. The bug has been reported to the appropriate authorities.
There are also a number of behind-the-scenes changes to the infrastructure. The build system has been rearranged to avoid doing in-place modification of files wherever possible, because that was making it hard for make to properly track changes. The kerning recipes have been split into smaller chunks, the better to debug FontForge bugs that turn up during kerning. It's not included in the distribution because by nature it depends on outside fonts, but I now have a "missing kanji" maintainer tool that makes a chart of kanji used in the documentation and not yet included in the font, so as to make planning easier. And the documentation itself has expanded considerably.