use XDG dirs instead of HOME
Currently we use ~/.anthy for a few things. It would be better to use the locations defined in the XDG Base Directory Specification.
What is planned now about FreeDesktop XDG basedir specification for Eclipse?
What is planned now about FreeDesktop XDG basedir specification for Anthy(sorry for the typo)?
According to XDG Base directory specification, Anthy should not have its own folder (~/anthy) anymore
User data should go into $XDG_DATA_HOME (which default to ~/.local/share),
user preferences should go into $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (which default to ~/.config)
and cached data should go to $XDG_CACHE_HOME (which default to ~/.cache).
More details at :
Full specification can be found at:
The Freedesktop.org XDG base directory specification have good de facto adoption.
It has been adopted by:
- GNOME ( https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/XDGConfigFolders )
- GTK+ ( https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=646631 )
- KDE ( http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/XDG_Filesystem_Hierarchy#Freedesktop.org_and_Standard_Directories )
- QT ( http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/library/html/qt4/qsettings.html#setPath )
- XFCE ( http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/advanced in Files and Environment Variables )
- VLC ( https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1267 )
- GStreamer ( https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=518597 )
- Chrome ( http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=16976 )
- many more upstream applications
- Ubuntu ( http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/6557/ & http://packages.ubuntu.com/fr/source/precise/libxdg-basedir )
- Debian ( http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libxdg-basedir1 )
- Red Hat
- many more distributions
I think that Anthy should use same locations than the vast majority of Desktop environment and applications.
There are real advantages of following this specification :
- a lot less cluttered $HOME
- Make backups a lot more safer and easier.
- A lot easier to reset a default configuration if you want/need it (and
- Avoid some strange bugs that happens because you had a old version of
- A lot more of flexibility and portability because no path are hardcoded.